Blessed are they who mourn for they shall be COMFORTED. - Matthew 5:4 Part 2


COMFORT

     I longed to feel comforted but I was in so much pain, nothing anyone said could’ve soothed my breaking heart. But still that longing was there. There were many that held me, kissed me, rocked with me while I cried, talked to me, listened to me and were just there. Everyone in their own way made sure that they could provide some comfort for me during my most difficult time. I will always remember that. It meant so much to me and it’s truly in those times that you find out who really cares for you.

     The comfort I truly needed, I turned my back on due to anger and hurt. I couldn’t understand why God would allow this to happen. I couldn’t pray due to anger. Every fiber in my being longed for an explanation but there was none. My attempts to pray left me on my knees, in tears
and not uttering a word. Eventually my attempts turned into prayers and the comfort I needed came from His word and through the Holy Spirit.

     Comfort is defined as “to soothe, console, or reassure; bring cheer to.” After Jesus resurrected, he told his disciple that the “Great Comforter would come, which is the Holy Spirit (John 14:26). Jesus did not leave them hopeless and in despair over his departure but He gave them reassurance and hope and comforted their worries which I’m sure they had. I can imagine the disciples being with Jesus and having to see him suffer and die and although he resurrected, their joy was short lived as he had to leave them again but he promised them that the Great Comforter would come. Why would he call the Holy Spirit the Great Comforter? It’s because the Holy Spirit is above all those who can provide comfort. In Him lies true comfort, there is no other comfort that can console, soothe, reassure and bring cheer like He can. Above all things, that’s what the disciples needed and what we need. He is there for us in all instances; we just have to rely on Him to be our comforter.

     God doesn’t leave us alone in the midst of our hurts, fears, worries and anguish. In the midst of all that when you feel alone, He is there (Psalms 34:18). He will not leave us nor forsake us (Hebrews 13:5).  We can rest assured that whatever we are going through, GOD IS THERE. Turn to Him and He will provide your every need (Philippians 4:19).

     Jesus left us with this promise, that as a mourner you are blessed for you will be comforted. Hold on to this promise when all else fails. Hold on to the Word of God.

He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." --Revelation 21:4

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen!Lord I look to you.